This is a light, refreshing appetizer for a spring day when the asparagus is fresh and the meals are simple.
Creating the savory puff is a simple recipe with a big payoff. Your guests will be impressed that you made the mini sandwich rolls yourself and even more impressed with the subtle garlic flavor they impart.
Mini Spring Sandwiches
Savory Puff~Makes 21, 3-inch puffs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and pepper, set aside.
- Bring water, butter and garlic to a rolling boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour mixture. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until the dough forms a ball and pulls away from the sides of the pan. Remove from heat. Let stand for 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Fill piping bag or large re-sealable plastic bag with dough. Cut an opening about ¾-inch at the tip (or on the bottom corner of the re-sealable bag) for piping puffs.
- Create puffs on the parchment lined baking sheet, approximately 3-inches long, about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F, continue baking 20 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool puffs completely on a wire rack. Do not fill until just before serving.
- 1 pound green asparagus, peeled, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 4oz goat cheese
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh herbs such as thyme, oregano, basil, or rosemary~your choice
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, stir in the salt.
- While waiting for the water to come to a boil, prepare a bowl of ice water.
- Add the cut asparagus to the boiling water, cooking about 3 minutes.
- With a slotted spoon remove the asparagus from the heat to the ice water to stop the cooking and allow to cool for just a minute. Drain and pat dry. Cover and chill until ready to assemble sandwiches.
- For assembly~In a small bowl combine the goat cheese with 1 teaspoon of fresh herbs.
- Gently slice the puffs horizontally with a sharp knife.
- Generously spread the goat cheese on the bottom half of the puff, cover with a layer of asparagus. Sprinkle with remaining herbs.
- Lay the top of the puff over the asparagus and serve immediately.