A savory tart filled with a hearty custard combined with satisfying ham, tangy Swiss cheese and a healthy dose of spinach. Feel free to switch things up—trade the ham for crispy bits of bacon, choose your favorite cheese and by all means try not to fuss over the perfect crust. Serve it along side a refreshing, vinaigrette dressed, green salad for a light lunch.
If you are browsing around for a simple appetizer, this recipe would make a tasty opener when made in a muffin pan for personal pies.
Ham & Swiss Quiche-Serves 6
Crust~can be made the day ahead or replaced with ready-made pastry
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon coarse salt
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, cold and cut into cubes
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ cup onion, diced
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 10-ounce package frozen, chopped spinach-thawed and drained*
- ½ cup cooked ham, diced
- ½ cup grated Swiss cheese
- Coarse salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- To make the Crust—In a large bowl, combine the flour, salt and sugar.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in the cubed butter until the mixture resembles a “sandy” texture.
- Form a well in the center of the mixture. Pour in the beaten egg. Stir with a wooden spoon gradually incorporating the flour mixture with the egg until a dough begins to form.
- Turn the dough onto a lightly floured counter top. Knead the dough to a smooth consistency being careful not to add too much additional flour. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll the dough to 1/8-inch thickness on lightly floured surface. Transfer to a 9-inch quiche, or deep-dish pie plate, gently push in the corners and pinch the sides to line the dish. Prick the bottom and sides of the crust with a fork.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, just until it starts to color. Remove to a rack, lower the oven temperature to 375°F.
- To make the Filling—In a medium sauté pan, melt butter and sweat the diced onion until soft.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Stir in the softened onion, thyme, chopped spinach, cheese and ham. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour the mixture into the baked crust. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until the top is browned slightly.
- Allow to rest for 10 minutes before cutting. Serve warm.
*To thaw frozen spinach-Unwrap the spinach and place in a microwave save dish. Cook on high for 2 ½ minutes or until softened enough to be able to squeeze excess liquid out.